Kiriban - 25,555 PageViews - Commission Info }
So I wanted to kick off my premium membership with something creative.
Like a Contest.
I recently created a poll to see what kind of rewards people would like, and I was fairly pleased with results.
So here's your contest.
Now, people may be familiar with March as being the National Self-Harm Awareness Month. But organizations like The Trevor Project, The US Navy, and To Write Love On Her Arms (TWLOHA) raise awareness in the month of September.
September 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day.
If you're saying "Nawh, people don't really do suicide (or self-harm) nowadays", let me quote something from that page above:
"According to the World Health Organization (WHO), there are twenty people who have a failed suicide attempt for every one that is successful, at a rate approximately one every three seconds. Suicide is the "most common cause of death for people aged 15 24." More people die from suicide than from murder and war; it is the 13th leading cause of death worldwide. According to WHO, suicide accounts for nearly half of all violent deaths in the world."
Still don't believe it goes on?
A study showed that in 2007, there were 6.9 Adolescents ages 15 to 19 in a sample of 100,000 who died by suicide.
That's 7 people from your home town.
7 people from your college.
By the way, the day AFTER I posted this journal, my school sent out a newsletter. Well okay, they do that daily, with all the upcoming events, but here was one of them:
"Send Suicide Packing is a campus event to raise awareness about depression and suicide in college students. Approximately 1100 college students commit suicide each year. Come join us on the patio behind the Student Center on Sept 13th, 11:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m., to learn more about how we can support each other and perhaps save a life."
Finally - let's talk about the contest.
This is a photography contest. I wanted to host this in November, because of a personal event I could link to this, but I can't guarantee that by November I won't be engrossed in school. Since many high schools have a high number of participants for TWLOHA, and since school is still fairly calm, I decided to host this now, in September.
The theme is HOPE.
Again, this is a Photography contest.
The deadline is September 28th, 2012.
I will be editing this journal each time we have a new entry.
- One submission per person. Film, Digital, and Medium-Format are allowed. I may open a poll for everyone to vote, but for now, I will be the one judging who the winners will be. I don't want this to be a popularity contest (as in, who can get the most votes!) There will be THREE winners.
- First Place - 1 Signed 8x10 Print, 1 Signed 5x7 Print, 100 Pts, Journal Feature of 10 Deviations.
- Second Place - 1 Signed 5x7 Print, 50 Pts, Journal Feature of 5 Deviations.
- Third Place - 25 Pts, Journal Feature of 2 Deviations.
- All "Signed Print" rewards are of your choosing, from my gallery. They will NOT be watermarked, have white text, or a black border around them (I mean, unless you really want that). You do not have to be a watcher or friend to participate - so share this journal! All submissions must either be Posted in a comment on this journal or PM'ed to me with the subject "Hope: Submission". All submissions must have a link to this journal in the Artists Comments. Any that don't when it's time for judging will not be considered. Although I would PREFER new deviations, I'll accept deviations up to a year old.
Be creative. I've given you a theme - go and photograph it. Don't be put off by your skill level, or the skill level of others.
It's not what kind of camera you have, how good you are with said camera, or how many years of experience in Photography you've had.
It'll ultimately be your creativity and how effectively you get the message across that matters.
This is only the beginning of September. Don't rush yourself.
You only get one entry. Make it perfect. !
Contest Category: Photography
Deadline: 12:01 AM September 28th, 2012
Amount of Winners: Three!
You may view current submissions here: side-real.deviantart.com/favou…
Just got the first submission! 09/09/12!
Get out there guys - get photographing!
And please, raise some awareness..
PS :: Just a reminder that I do have a Kiriban coming up!